Elementary School Counselors help children...
- Understand and develop a positive self-image
- Show respect for the feelings of others
- Understand the decision-making process
- Maintain effective relationships with peers and adults
- Gain an understanding of the world of work
- Develop effective study skills
Joseph Rogers Primary provides all students with a Comprehensive Developmental Elementary School Counseling Program*.
What it provides...
- Classroom Counseling Lessons on topics such as emotions, coping skills, conflict resolution, communication skills, diversity, teamwork, friendship, mindset, career awareness, and community circles. Classroom counseling lessons are an integral part of the elementary school counseling program and important to each student’s academic success. One of the most effective ways for school counselors to help prevent academic problems is by discussing self-esteem issues such as peer relationships, stress, or dealing with feelings and emotions in large group counseling lessons in the classroom. The lessons are preventative in nature, designed to reach all students, and are taught regularly by the counselor.
- Small Group Counseling with students such as leadership, friendship, or social skills groups. The counselor meets with a group of students who have a shared identified need to assist these students more in depth.
- Individual Counseling with students on a short-term basis to meet social, emotional, or behavioral goals and to work through issues affecting them at school. The counselor is available to meet individually with a student in circumstances when a student's educational success is being impacted.
- Crisis Intervention to prevent crises and plan for safety after a crisis.
- Consultation and Collaboration with staff and parents to plan for student needs and to provide resources and education. The counselor collaborates with teachers and administrators to promote student learning. If a student is having problems in a classroom, the school counselor will join together with teachers to come up with some practical strategies which will remove educational barriers and enhance the learning environment of that student. The counselor also collaborates with parents and guardians to ensure the student's holistic needs are being met.
- Referral Assistance for services such as mental health counseling, case management, crisis support, or providing families with assistance in meeting their needs.The elementary school counselor assists and provides services to all children. While a counselor cannot provide on-going long-term counseling, it may be appropriate for a student to receive short-term individual counseling. When more attention and intervention is required, school counselors can act as a referral agent for parents to access counseling services within the community.
*A Comprehensive Developmental School Counseling Program is aligned with the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) National Model and the Tennessee Comprehensive School Counseling Model of Practice.
This means that School Counselors have standards to teach too!
Check out the ASCA and TN Department of Education websites for more information about the standards: